Jump

Jump
Jump

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Creative Influences

At age 14 I was inspired by musicians Jimi Hendrix, John Mayer, and Jack Johnson to play guitar. I was inspired by their creative abilities with lyrics, arrangement, and skill. My creative ability sparks when I play music and listen to music. The most aspiring musician that has helped me compose my own work is Dave Matthews. This clip from Youtube is live in New York at Radio City. This song is called Two Step. With Dave Matthews the text and subtext of his lyrics bring endless interpretations. His interpretation is different from others. A lot of his lyrics are that way. What he says (text) and what the meaning is (subtext) are what make him unique. Depending on a persons experience the interpretation is different. In Two Step the chorus is pretty straightforward. It is about celebrating life with the people around you. In the song it makes a reference about “climbing on two by two.” That is the text and the subtext is talking about a lover or celebrating life with a significant other. That is what it means to me. Others may have a similar or different interpretation or view. The way Dave’s lyrics are and the way the music sounds works well together. Before the chorus the music starts in D minor. Minor brings a somber sound. The lyrics give a since of hope or looking forward to brighter days. When the chorus hits the text and music match up. This contrast and affinity between the lyrics and music help with my creativity and give me ideas to my own music and lyrics.
This leads me into my next example of Jimi Hendrix’s music. He has affinity with a basis in blues. However, he has contrast because he took blues elements but put a rock style twist to his music. He is also a singer songwriter with complex chords and differences of straight blues foundations. One of my favorite songs from Jimi is Hey Joe. The message and text of the story aren’t necessarily my favorite but the music is what inspires me. Another contrast is the solo that Jimi plays for each concert in between lyrics. It is familiar but not exactly the same. The person listening can recognize it’s the song but the lead contrasts each concert. This contrast and affinity is a common theme throughout much of Jimi’s music. Another song he has is Hear my Train A Comin’. He plays and sings but its different each performance which makes it unique.
I am a praise and worship leader as well. Lincoln Brewster is my next example of someone who inspires me to help do praise and worship music. He has active and didactic themes in his lyrics. I play a lot of Brewster’s music for praise and worship. His lyrics are active because they are about focusing on praising God and reflecting on your life. They help promote a deep thought of mind to analyze what is important in life. He has some songs that are didactic and fun. They help get people involved and energize. Once he uses these didactic songs to engage an audience he uses active lyrics to help people reflect and focus.

1 comment:

  1. You've got a diverse set of creative influences, Eric! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete